Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oscar Gown Candidates

Okay you guys, here it is.  My short list of Oscar gown candidates.  After you're done looking at all these, you're going to think I was being sarcastic about this being the short list, but I'm not.  I had to cut out SOOO many dresses that I would love to see (I'm looking at you, Elie Saab), just because I felt like it's not really that impressive to pick gowns if you pick every gown done by every designer.  I should also warn you that for some reason I'm having a really hard time remembering who's nominated, so basically every dress I picked I had Angelina Jolie, Viola Davis, Tilda Swinton and Charlize Theron in mind.  And I'm not even sure all of them will be there!  Anyways, I hope you enjoy all the gowns as much as I do.  Most of these gowns are from the Fall 2012 Ready to Wear shows which just happened in New York.  I'm not sure if it's possible for them to get on the red carpet so soon after being shown, but if these stylists know what they're doing, they'll make it happen.  Okay, we'll go alphabetically, because it's too hard for me to go by preference.  Enjoy!

Carolina Herrera
More than anything, I want Helen Mirren to show up in this dress and just be all "bow down, mofos."  
Normally I'm not much for Carolina Herrera, but I LOVE this dress.  Sandra Bullock, you wanna put this on?  'Preciate ya!
Christian Dior
I'm not normally much on these poofy princess dresses, but I can see some PYT desperate for attention showing up in it.  

Elie Saab
I can't even tell you what I would do to wear this dress.  If someone I hate wears this (ahem, Gwyneth Paltrow), I think I'll cry.
LOVE.  I seriously have no idea how I cut Elie Saab down to two dresses.  

J. Mendel
I can't imagine anyone actually showing up to the Oscars in this, but if someone is desperate enough for attention and has a rockin bod, they could do worse.  Is Halle Berry gonna be there tomorrow?  I can see her in this.
I can hear trumpets when I see this dress.  I mean that in a very good way.
Someone said this on a blog I read and now it's the only thing I see with this dress--Tilda Swinton.  It's just bizarre enough that it would totally work for her, but it's also tacky enough with the lame and the cutouts that I feel like J.Lo would cut somebody to wear it.
Viola Davis, want to come pick up your dress? 

Marchesa
Heaven's knows I'm not a Marchesa fan, but since Hollywood loses their mind for over designed tulle dresses, I'm sure there will be a few of those floating around tomorrow. 
I don't mind this until you get to the Kleenex on the bottom.  It's kinda scroll-down ugly, but ehh..
The top is pretty enough that I'll excuse anyone who wants to wear this.  Hear that Hollywood?  I'm giving you the go-ahead on a Marchesa.  I'd take that, if I were you.
And then there's this...It's tacky, sure.  But hey, like I said, I think J.Lo will be there tomorrow.

Michael Kors
Angelina Jolie? 
I'm not sure who would wear it, but if no one takes it, I will.
Rooney Mara, perhaps? 

Monique Lhullier
I take it back, here you go, Rooney.
I take back everything bad I've said about you, Monique.  If no one snatches this dress up, Hollywood is dumber than I thought.
Emma stone?  I don't know, but I like it.

Oscar de la Renta
You're welcome, Michelle Williams.
Meryl Streep, bring it, sister.
If I don't see this tomorrow, my heart will break.

Ralph Lauren
I wish I could see it without the jacket, but I think I love it either way.

Reem Acra
Can we all just agree that if Angelina Jolie showed up in this, every head at the E! network would explode?

Versace
I'm not sure if Cate Blanchett is even going to be there tomorrow, but if she is, she could show up in this dress and everyone else would just be like "ohhhhhh.........you win."  Personally, I'd take off the hip accent, but she could make it work.

Zac Posen
Tilda, don't worry about fighting J.Lo for the J. Mendel dress!  THIS IS YOURS!
It's boring, but someone could make it pretty awesome.  Just not sure who.
I'm not much on Zac Posen, but I like this.  Lots.

Okay, what do you guys think?  Favorites?  Any you're desperate to see?  Think you know who would look great in them?  Don't you wish people wore gowns everyday?  I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment